Saturday 11 July 2009

Trust my username and password to a business that can't spell business?

That's what morefollowers.net has managed to get thousands of Twitter users to do.

I'm very circumspect about handing out my details willy nilly, even to useful sites with genuine value. The number of API-based tools for Twitter means we are all pretty casual about whacking our username and password into something tweeted by someone we follow. I suspect this is how so many accounts get hacked.



Now I've trotted out posts riddled with spelling errors in the past, largely because I type like a cack-handed five year-old. Putting together a site that is entirely dependent on word-of-mouth, however, and can generate no more trust than can be gleaned from the landing page, and not proof reading the content of said landing page, seems foolhardy.

A lot of people use Twitter socially or casually, but it is increasingly a business tool. Business, that is, not 'buisness', as MoreFollowers.Net would have it. Also, MoreFollowers.Net, 'of course' is two words. Just saying. Two spelling mistakes in a four sentence landing page isn't particularly stunning though.

Amazingly, they've managed to sign 23 people up to their 'VIP' package. Out of 23,000 'hits', that's still a lot of unusually trusting people. 13,000 users have registered their details with these people too. Amazing what blind momentum can achieve.

I'll stick to getting followers organically, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment